Breast reduction is a major plastic surgery procedure that should be preceded by a thorough pre-operative preparation process. This will help create a solid foundation for a safe and predictable surgeon. The breast surgeon will advise the patient about the steps involved in preparation, and the patient should try to diligently adhere to the instructions.
A well-prepared patient will typically have more confidence about her breast reduction surgery, and will be able to make better decisions.
Patients with good preparation often achieve higher satisfaction levels at the end of the procedure. Dr. Gary Motykie is an experienced cosmetic surgeon providing breast reduction and other procedures to patients in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, and surrounding communities.
Prior to the Surgery
In an ideal situation, the patient should be able to accomplish the following tasks in advance once her candidacy for breast reduction has been determined and the surgeon has given a date for the scheduled surgery:
- Arrange for previous medical and surgical records from the doctor and hospital to be delivered to the surgeon’s office.
- Prepare a list of the ongoing medications, including blood thinners, NSAIDs, prescription drugs, as well as vitamins and herbal supplements to present before the surgeon.
- Get any x-rays, specialized mammograms or other lab tests as per the surgeon’s advice.
- Adjust the schedule of any prescription medications in consultation with the surgeon and physician, if required.
- Quit smoking for at least a specified time period prior to breast reduction plastic surgery, as instructed by the surgeon.
- Complete any urgent tasks at home or office well in advance to make way for a stress-free recovery period.
- Arrange for someone to drive the patient back home after the surgery.
- If required, arrange for aftercare for the first few days of post-surgical recovery.
A Day before the Surgery
The patient can follow a few simple tips just a day prior to the breast reduction surgery. The surgeon’s staff may provide instructions in this regard.
- Have sufficient rest during the day and sleep well on the night before the surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything for eight hours prior to the surgery.
- Do not consume alcohol for at least 48 hours prior to the surgery.
- Avoid wearing jewelry, nail paint, body piercings, or contact lenses on the day of the surgery.
- Wear loose fitting and comfortable garments on way to the surgery center, and preferably wear a top with buttons in the front.
- If the patient is a diabetic, she should get her vital parameters checked on the morning of the surgery.
Some patients may have mild pre-surgical anxiety a day before the surgery. In such cases, the surgeon may prescribe a calming medication to be taken on the night before the surgery. The patient should also feel free to ask any last-minute questions and clear her doubts prior to the surgery.
Accomplished and perspicacious cosmetic surgeon Dr. Motykie receives patients from Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, and nearby areas in this part of SoCal for breast reduction.
Click here for Virtual Consultation
To see more services and treatments provided by Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Motykie in Beverly Hills | Los Angeles and his team please visit: